Followers

Has my inquiry changed the direction of my future professional development?

I have always wanted to go into casting when I feel as though I have reached my potential as a performer. I think that this is a natural progression and that I would embrace the ability to cast performers and teach them the shows. But I had never previously considered the impact that a casting director can truly have, not only on someones career but on their emotional well-being. 

Companies are not afraid to advertise that they are auditioning for a certain 'type' of performer. Whether it be your height, hair colour or general physique that they specify, there are always requirements. This has often angered me. Being a short dancer I have frequently been 'un-suitable' for a company. We are judged on our physical appearance and not our talent and that can be infuriating. I do understand the pressure that a casting director is under- they have specific costumes to fill and other factors beyond their control. But the choice to eliminate a performer from consideration without them even getting the chance to show what they can do can be soul destroying. 

This has made me realise that maybe I would not enjoy being a casting director. I would have to choose between organisational culture and my own morals and beliefs. Personally I think that a cast full of different 'types' of dancer fills the stage with contrast and excitement. But my employer may not feel the same and that is where the conflict could prove difficult.

Developing my knowledge on how rejection can affect a dancer has made me realise that auditions form a crucial part of a performers emotional well-being. Being aware of psychological support groups available to performers and maybe advertising them within dance studios holding auditions is something that I now want to try to promote and share the importance of.

My research has also made me realise the importance of my role as a manager when it comes to emotional support. My cast is onboard a cruise ship so we are away from our family, friends - the people that we have choose as our own support system. This can make us more vulnerable than ever. I need to encourage my cast to lean on each other, take the time to notice when somebody isn't themselves and go out of your way to try to make them smile. 

Being more knowledgable about the emotional support available will help me to support my cast better. I want to share knowledge and love and be more than just a manager.

1 comment:

  1. A great post to read Megan. It is so interesting to see that when we really dive into certain topics and start to think of them from different perspectives how much that knowledge influences our personal thoughts. Also it is nice to know that you have the ability to look at a job in a different way now, like you said maybe you don't want to go into casting now after taking a deeper look into it, whereas before perhaps those considerations wouldn't have been top of mind for you.

    ReplyDelete

Learning as a Circular, Reciprocal Force...

This week I have been really working on using my key texts to help me learn about Mental Health within the Arts. The book I am reading at t...